What is Breast Thermography?
Breast Thermography uses state of the art technology which scans the breasts using an infrared camera to produce a “thermogram”.Thermocheck system detects any abnormal heat and vascular patterns indicating infection, inflammation or a breast tumour. Breast tumours tend to have abnormal blood vessel patterns and increased metabolic activity that give off more heat than the surrounding tissue.
These heat changes can occur between 6 and 10 years before a tumour is big enough to see on a mammogram. Therefore detecting this heat can enable earlier intervention and reduction of risk. The blood vessel growth that accompanies tumour formation is termed neovascularization or angiogenesis. Neovascularization is the earliest sign of a rapidly growing tumour and can be detected with infrared technology.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BREAST THERMOGRAPHY WITH THERMOCHECK?
- 100% safe, radiation-free, non-contact and painless.
- Very early detection of cancer risk (up to 10 years earlier than mammography).
- It is unique in its capacity to visually record physiological changes and metabolic processes.
- Cancers are associated with increased temperature and abnormal blood vessel patterns, both detected by Thermocheck®.
- 90% sensitivity. This means that where there is an increased risk, thermography will correctly identify this in 90% of cases (one third of mammograms give false readings).
- Breast Thermography Screening can be repeated as often as you like with no risk or radiation and are therefore is very suited for regular and frequent Breast Screening including post-surgery or during treatment or in cases where a patient might be unwilling to proceed with surgery
- It is useful for young women for whom mammography is inappropriate due to 1) greater density of breast tissue and 2) greater sensitivity of their breast tissue to adverse effects of ionising radiation.